Wednesday, July 22, 2009

PICC line is out

Over the night last night Ezra somehow managed to pull his PICC line out. Lovely. So we went in to clinic today to have them look at it. I was not sure if it was pulled completely out….it was.

They sent us over to get blood drawn, they wanted to check his counts, and to get certain levels for the chemo he was supposed to receive tomorrow.

So after waiting for 45 minutes to get lab work done, they lost our papers. It ended in me being irate in tears, talking with the lab manager. It wouldn’t have been so bad but I had both boys, a 2 and a 4 year old….we all lost our patience after about 20 minutes of waiting.

We then went back and waited back at clinic for his lab results. Anthony came and relieved me so I could at least get Rowan out of there.

Tomorrow we have an appointment to meet with a pediatric surgeon. He is going to look at Ezra’s wound and decide whether or not it is safe to put another port in. If so he would probably have surgery Friday for that. If not, we may put off his chemo for a week and then put a port in the following week. If the surgeon thinks its going to be longer then 2 weeks to heal, he will have to get another PICC line put in.

Ezra’s counts are great right now, so it would be an ideal time for him to get another port put in. We hate the PICC line with a passion, and really do not want another one.

I will update tomorrow after our appointment with the surgeon.

4 comments:

  1. HUGS!!! Continuing to pray for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Ezra, poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I needed some info like that to get things running better. If you ever need motorcycle transport then go with these guys. Fast and pro.

    ReplyDelete