I bravely took both the boys to Ezra’s chemo appointment today, I hate to wear out my babysitting options, so I sometimes have been taking Rowan with us, I figure it helps him to understand a little as well.
Ezra’s ANC was hovering right at 500, but he was still able to receive his chemo cocktail. If his number would have been below 500, he would not have been able to get his chemo. If that happens they wait a few days and retest the blood and then hope the numbers have risen enough to get the chemo. It may happen next week, we will just have to wait and see. We are just living under the assumption that he is neutropenic this week.
Although his port wound is healing really nicely, he won’t be able to get another port until his counts come up, so we are kind of stuck in a conundrum.
While Ezra was getting his chemo, the life specialist came and talked to us. She told me that our family had been selected to go to a conference at Disney! They throw all of their Cancer patients name in a hat, and basically draw names. It sounds amazing, it is put on by the American Cancer Society, you can read more about it here.
Basically we get to stay for 2 nights free of charge at one of Disney’s Resorts, during Labor Day weekend. We will be able to attend different conferences about different topics, and meet other parent’s with children with Cancer. Then we get tickets to go to one of the parks! It is so wonderful, because we had a trip planned to Disney a week before Ezra was diagnosed, that we did not get to go on. I am so excited to gain more knowledge, and meet other parents. Not to mention the boys are going to have a blast! Even if Ezra’s counts are down, there are ways to work around it.
So that was super exciting news. We were at the appointment for almost 3 hours, and both of the boys were so great, they made me so proud.
In other news Rowan will be starting pre-school at the end of August. I am going in to meet with his teacher and the director of the center on Friday. Just to go over things I need to be made aware of, and I am writing a memo for the parent’s that they will pass out. I am super scared about all of the germs, but we are going to be really careful. It is impertinent that Ro starts school, he is just spinning his wheels at home. Every Dr. or nurse I have asked, they all tell me to put Ro in school. So I will try not to worry incessantly about chicken pox, and swine flu.
Well this has gotten really long. More updates to come soon. I will just leave you with a recent picture of little man.